The nursing profession ,like healthcare in general , is in a state of change. The profession of nursing is becoming increasing complex as patient care is moving out of hospitals and into outpatient and primary care settings.For years, the role of nurses has been evolving from a bedside caregiver to a specialized member of an interdisciplinary medical team.
RNs perform a wide variety of job duties during their shifts, caring for and educating patients about their conditions ,as well as establishing trust and building rapport with patients and their families. Same daily RN duties might include
- Working with a variety of patients ,from pediatric to geriatric or specializing in one of numerous possible areas such as neonatal intensive care, cardiac care, neurologic care or dermatology
- Observing and recording patient behavior
- Consulting with physician and othr health care professionals
- Establishing treatment plans,operating medical equipment.
- Supervising licenced practical nurse ( LPN s ) and certified nurse assistants ( CNAs ).
- Performing diagnostic tests
- Treating medical emergencies, such as heart attacks,strokes,car accidents, and burns as well as recovering post operative patients.
- Administering medication and treatments.
According to national data published by the US Buraeu of Labour Statistics (BLS ) ,EMPLOYMENT FOR NURSES IS EXPECTED TO INCREASE 26% BY 2020,WHICH IS MUCH FASTER THAN AVERAGE OCCUPATION. The BLS further states that RN with atleast a Bachoelor of Science in Nursing are expected to have the best job opportunities. Prospective students are encouraged to conduct independent research to determine actual growth rates, which vary according to location,education and experience.
Many employers have instituted hiring policies which require all RNs to have BSN degree,but require new RNs without a BSN degree within certain amount of time.
Nursing is a splendid vocation for any young woman to follow. It enables her to take proper care of herself as well as others and it especially prepares her for homemaking and motherhood.She can practice her profession in almost any part of the world.
Nursing prepares her for a service which is growing broader,brighter and move varied, with a rapidly improving social and professional status in every community and with salaries comparing favorably with those of other professional women. It gives her an opportunity to render intelligent service in solving the problems of suffering humanity. It never becomes a drudgerg to help someone in distress or pain. I t is a rich and varied career.
The rich and varied career of the many fields open to graduate nurses are ,
- Army and Navy nursing
- Institutional nursing ( headnurse,supervisor, instructor )
- Indusrial nursing
- Red Cross nursing
- General duty nursing
- Office nursing
- Operating room supervisor
- Private duty nursing
- Public health nursing
- School healyh nursing
- Visiting nursing
- Nurse on boardship, aeroplane or train
1) A client with COPD is admitted to the medical surgical unit. To help this client maintain a patent airway and achieve maximal gas exchange the nurse should
a)instruct the client to drink 2L of fluid daily
b)Maintain the client on bed rest
c)Administer anxiolytics as prescribed ,to control anxiety
d)Administer pain medication as prescribed
“I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly to pass my in purity and to practice my profession faithfully.I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischevious and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug.
I will do all in my power to elevate the standard of nursing profession , and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping, and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling.With loyalty will I endevourto aid the physician in his work and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care.”
_ Florence N ightingale